Wednesday, December 26, 2007

a little setback

When I left San Carlos full of hope en route for a new sailing adventure, I did not imagine how hard I will fall.... After numerous emails, the enthusiast skipper was really counting on me, even encouraging me to come sooner. At my arrival in Portugal I noticed that this man was not a happy guy, his sour face showed a troubled mind. The next morning he told me that he did not think that would work out. Or rather, he wrote that on a piece of paper, unable to tell me in my face ! No more explanations than that... I figured out that he had a companion somewhere, not willing to go sailing, but no willing to let him have a female crew ! Anyway, I swallowed my pride, took my backpack and left his boat. All transportations expenses for myself ! I went to France to visit my parents. I had spent the last 6 months looking on the internet for boats. I subscribed on some specialized nets. I had numerous answers, most of them from single guys looking for a relationship, preferably with younger women. I thought it was an agressive approach, you do not force a relationship. The fact that I am single does not mean I am in search of a soul mate. If that happened it is fine, but I do not advertise it. So I got a slap in my face, lost a little of my enthusiasm, but learnt a lesson. I keep looking, learn to filter a lot of those answers. I did not loose my dreams on the contrary. I lost money.. yes. But to all of you skippers, looking for crew, please do not assume that a woman, single is looking for a romantic adventure when she proposed herself for crew. And you, women, do not mix up crewing and cheap romance. I take crewing seriously.

No comments: